Futons are very versatile and usefully so; it has a range of style and function that cannot be compared to other pieces of furniture with a singular function. Sleeping on a futon, however, does not offer the best sleeping experience but you can easily make your futon bed more comfortable with these simple steps.
- Futon beds are usually off the ground by a foot or less and some find it hard to sit on furniture that low. To provide a better futon experience for yourself and for guests, place an air mattress atop your futon while it is opened up. This will offer you extra support and comfort while adding some height. Get a perfectly fitting air mattress for the futon and a model that automatically inflates and deflates to make chores easier.
- If you are using a futon as a bed, you can also put a comforter on the mattress. Use a hypoallergenic comforter if you or your overnight guests have problems with allergies or a down option for airy lightness. A comforter on top of your futon mattress will give you extra cushioning that will make a significant difference in your sleep quality. If two people are using the futon bed the preferences of each guest can be met by customizing the extra padding.
- A featherbed is similar to a down comforter but instead of pulling it over you when you sleep, you would lie on top of it. Feather beds are partitioned into sections to prevent migration of the down to either side of the bed. a feather bed will add a lovely layer of warmth and softness between the futon mattress and yourself.
- If you want a good night’s sleep, you might be better off with a comfortable futon mattress. They some in varied thicknesses and the thicker options will obviously be more comfortable but look at the material as well. A foam mattress will hold up shape better than a cotton one with time. Ensure the new mattress fits the sofa if it has to be folded up.
- You can add support to the futon mattress from underneath to provide comfort. Consider putting up wooden bed slats that will keep the mattress from sagging around the edges or the middle of the mattress. They will also provide the futon bed with firmness.
- You can also put a mattress topper inside your futon cover or on top of your futon mattress. To hold everything in place, cover the topper and the futon mattress with a fitted sheet and you are good to go.