Low beds or platform beds are made up of a futon mattress or any kind of mattress that rests on slats, or a solid wooden platform as a supportive surface. Unlike the convertible futon sets, platform beds only have one purpose, which is sleeping. A low bed is popular among people who want a simple look because it does not need to have a box spring. However, if your frame has slats, it is advisable to use a memory foam mattress that is no less than 6 inches in height.
For individuals struggling with squeaky springs or sleepless nights, a platform bed with a flat profile may provide a relaxing compactness. A slatted style is great for ventilation of the mattress thus reducing mildew and allergen buildup. Being that platform or low beds sit closer to the ground, they allow easier climbing up by children and they render the bed skirt unnecessary.
If you are still looking for a reason to get a low bed, here are five of them.
- A low riding bed has less fuss in terms of getting on it, a box spring is not really necessary unless it is a serious requirement for you. You will not need to worry about the bed skirt. They have a sleeker low frame that lacks the bulkiness of higher counterparts making them easier to move around and they can easily fit into areas that are limited for space. Generally, a low bed is easier to have, and maintain.
- They make getting in and out of bed a mini workout of sorts. As opposed to paying lots of money to go to the gym for leg-based fitness sessions, you can get into it right from your own bed. If you squat to get into bed, you will be putting in the work without the extra charges.
- They lack storage space underneath, due to the lack of under bed space. This could be a blessing in disguise if you are constantly shoving things you do not need under the bed, minimizing hoarding tendencies.
- A high bed is riskier if you tend to move around a lot in your sleep or have a tendency of falling off the bed during your sleep. If you have not, minimize the risk of doing so by getting a low bed which makes the chances of serious injury less.
- If you are all about having a modern look for your home, a low bed is a top choice. You will instantly add a minimalistic and cool look to the room and change up the whole aesthetic at one go.